"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God." - Philippians 4:6
“Inneke, I know you want this to be an experience, but are you ready to move on and have this baby now?” This was the question my faithful twin sister asked me while gripping my fingers with her one hand, and with the other nestling her three day old baby in the comfort of her arms.
What a strange question for her to ask. Of course I want this to move on!
She could see the confusion in my eyes. Still respecting my first-time-mommy wishes, she says, “Inneke, are you ready to go into active labour now?” So I smiled… “Yes, please.” As if she had any say in the matter…but actually she did.
You may think our dialogue was strange or even inappropriate. But you see, it was the way we had been communicating for the past 3 hours. I had been depending on her since she arrived. Before she got there I was only one centimetre dilated with no signs of progression. My water had already broke so I could not go home. I was also pushing with every contraction. But from the moment she got to me she started speaking life into my body, commanding my body to be obedient and to refrain from pushing.
You see I just couldn’t withstand the urge to push. My little girl had already moved down and was pressuring me to push. But my angel sister – she prayed over me. Once she took control of the visibly stressful situation, those urges disappeared! I had no control over my body, but I trusted in the Name above all names. Every time she said, “In the name of Jesus. Amen,” any, and all contractions would be painless and easy. My body could handle anything. I was SUPERWOMAN. Needless to say, this superwoman fell asleep a few times, relaxing in the warm water of the birthing pool.
So, what happened in those three hours? Well EVERTHING happened in those three hours. And what happened next was nothing short of a miracle!
“Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.” – James 5:16
When I answered “yes please” I was ready to let go completely. I relaxed as she laid her hands on me and spoke the strongest, sweetest, softest words over me.
That day we all witnessed the Holy Spirit power flowing from her hands into my mortal body. I completely trusted her. She trusted God. She was my pillar and I was not letting go. I knew her God was powerful and made things happen.
“But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.” – Romans 8:11 (KJV)
Active birth – it was a breeze. Thirty minutes flat! And daddy Greg was the one to do the honours as I gave the final push. With arms stretched wide, embracing her future, our precious golden gift from heaven opened her eyes and I drew her near. I was overwhelmed. What a liberating feeling that was. How precious. It was over. And yet it was only the beginning.
“Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer.” – Romans 12:12 NKJV”Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer.” – Romans 12:12 NKJV
I couldn’t believe how tiny she was. A beautiful little girl. Alexis. Our happy child. She was born with grace, with love, with her family all around the room. Her Daddy cut the cord, and then he came to hold my frail body and look over my shoulder at our little miracle. Praise God. Everlasting thanksgiving and praise.
We had just witnessed the power and supernatural ability of God manifest right in front of our eyes. Our lives were changed forever.
FACTS ABOUT MY BIRTH…
- I was overwhelmed and anxious about the unknown.
- With every contraction I would start to push.
- I was 1cm for a long time, but that wasn’t the problem, the problem was, I already started pushing.
- I was at the clinic since early that morning and gave birth just before three in the afternoon.
- My baby wasn’t in the perfect position when she was born, she was stargazing.
- In secret my midwife was ready to prepare for an emergency c-section.
- Everyone noticed the remarkable difference once my sister started praying over my body.
- My twin sister was ready to come to the clinic since 5am, but we stopped them because I was only 1cm dilated, so she only arrived at 11am.
- Just past 5am I was given something to calm me down, but it only made me drowsy and weak.
- I stopped pushing as soon as we started praying.
- I dilated rapidly after I surrendered control and started to put my faith in my sister’s faith.
- I went from 1cm to 7cm within an hour. When they checked again I was fully dilated, and giving birth after only 30 minutes of active labour.
- There were 13 of my family members present at the birth.